Cañada College Awarded Foundation for California Community Colleges Grant
Cañada College has been awarded a grant through the Foundation for California Community Colleges. Only 25 grants were awarded across the state. As part of an effort to support the California Community Colleges Civic Impact Project aims to increase voter registration and voter participation on community college campuses across California, educate students on the democratic process, and provide work based learning opportunities for students. The overarching goal of the project is to increase civic participation by engaging community college students in issues that affect the community, state, and nation as a means to promote lifelong civics-related skills, career paths, and volunteerism.
To accomplish those overarching goals at Cañada College, the Center for Student Life and Leadership Development plans to employ the following activities:
- Host a Constitution and Election Day
- Support Undocumented students by staffing the DREAMers Center
- Invite students to dinner to watch and discuss the final Presidential Debate
- Play Rock the Vote ads in the cafeteria
- Staff a Voter Registration table utilizing the 5 tablets garnered from the grant for two weeks prior to the November election
- Host a Rock the Vote art display and contest
- Provide incentives for students on Election Day
The full award is for $10,000 from October 26, 2016 through June 30, 2017.